Forum

Forum Level:
A Thinker
The Decline of the Sperm Counts
A survey by Laumann, Edward O., John H. Gagnon, Robert T. Michael, and Stuart Michaels in 1995 indicated that sperm counts of the average American male in 2008 were down nearly 30% from the sperm counts of an average American male 30 years ago.

I couldn't find the full study online, but I wonder what they posit as the reason for the decline?

If this thread breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Just getting started
I'll tell you what I think it is. Our food supply, steroids, hormones just to mention a few. since large corporations have taken over in order for them to increase output they have added unnatural components to increase their profits.

If this reply breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
A Thinker
Those are all logical possibilities. Any individual or combination could reasonably be tested.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
I actually watched a documentary about this on TV about a year ago. They said the reason why men’s sperm count is down is due to the recycled water. Our drinking water is being recycled from used water\ sewage. I remember they said that water treatment reservoirs clean out our water from sewage and harmful toxins before it gets delivered to the population for drinking. They did some chemical test on the water for over a year and most of the time they found chemicals in the water from birth control pills women take. Women that take birth control pills pee out some of the chemicals that keeps them from getting pregnant, which in turn gets recycled into our drinking water because the treatment that is used for the water for some reason does not or cannot filter those birth control chemicals therefore, effecting men’s sperm counts. I think it was a special on the news or something like that.

Forum Level:
A Thinker
I do recall that report on numerous prescription medications ending up in drinking water. I do not remember any definitive claims on the impact though, but that would also make a lot of sense.

Fun red
Oh god, don't get me started on the horrendous state of our food and water supply, our environment, and our country's overall physical health due to the natural progression of our new religion (consumerism) and our government's complicity in all of it. It is depressing and it makes me angry. I am just here to get a nut off and maybe have a few laughs grin

Forum Level:
A Thinker
And here I thought we were all just doing a better job of keeping the men drained..... LOL

Fun red
thumbup LOL jerk bounce

Forum Level:
Just getting started
At this time I do not believe that any water processing systems that take sewage water and make it in to drinking water. There are treatment facilities that that take sewer water and clean it minimally, and let it be used for irrigation of our lawns and golf courses and some crops. As long as the crops are for animal use only. So indirectly it reaches us by eating the animals that have eaten the crops. There has been talk of from the toilet to your tap. I do not believe they have done this yet do to public outcry.

Forum Level:
A Thinker
Barebottom,

They don't take direct sewage water. However, after sewage water is treated it is then cycled back into lakes and rivers where it is eventually taken back up for treatment and distribution of potable water. Sewage water is not treated to remove un-metabolized hormones and pharmaceuticals. That combined with water run off from pharmacological manufacturing plants has given rise to water contaminated with pharmaceuticals.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Thank you Agent, very informative

Forum Level:
Just getting started
fat bottom girls make the rocking world go round.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
And that, Cheese, is a proven fact.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
Putting a hot laptop on your nuts is bad. 2c

Hillman314
Hormones in the food supply
..probably also contributes to increased obesity rates.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Sperm count due to bad water
needmoreass said: I actually watched a documentary about this on TV about a year ago. They said the reason why men’s sperm count is down is due to the recycled water. Our drinking water is being recycled from used water\ sewage. I remember they said that water treatment reservoirs clean out our water from sewage and harmful toxins before it gets delivered to the population for drinking. They did some chemical test on the water for over a year and most of the time they found chemicals in the water from birth control pills women take. Women that take birth control pills pee out some of the chemicals that keeps them from getting pregnant, which in turn gets recycled into our drinking water because the treatment that is used for the water for some reason does not or cannot filter those birth control chemicals therefore, effecting men’s sperm counts. I think it was a special on the news or something like that.

Doesn’t explain the low sperm count in areas that use water from well fields, aquifers, and mountain lakes. Instead, look at what is used in processed foods. Especially cereals. Testosterone killers. There is some truth when referring to beta males as “soy boys”.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Microplastics & soy, definitely the food supply. I've been sterile since before it was trending.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Microplastics & soy
Agree totally!

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
A bunch of factors, including some of those mentioned.

Estrogen-imitators in the food supply (soy being one of them -- it's in a LOT of foods, soybean oil, soy 'protein', etc. -- just read the label). Lack of exercise compared to earlier generations. Foods causing excess weight gain, which can effect T-levels in some individuals. Less smoking of tobacco is also possibly a factor (smoking actually increased T levels -- no joke. Not saying one should smoke, though. Not at all).

And then you have the psychological aspect. There have been studies done showing a connection between T-levels and attitudes, psychological makeups. If you raise a generation or two of young men by constantly telling them that their masculinity is the problem, and they need to be smarmy, passive nice guys, enough of them will be that way, and their T-levels will drop correspondingly.

And there have apparently been studies connecting attitude, outlook, and T-levels. I once read about a study in the 1970's or 80's that showed that 'nice guy' church ministers had lower T-levels than cops, athletes, soldiers, EMS people, factory workers, etc.

So the problem has a lot of diverse causes. I think most of it is diet, exercise, and attitude. But that's just my own take on it.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
I would guess multiple factors combined. Bad water. Bad food. Chemicals.

Sad because sperm is very erotic.

Just me.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Bottom line: masculinity matters as without we are all screwed. Anyone raging "toxic masculinity" only has a valid point if it can be shown to be bad like in abuse or something. Otherwise, without it we all lose.

Alpha Masculinity matters and should be celebrated period.