Forum

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
NATO at 75!
So, NATO is having a confab get together for its 75th birthday party in Washington with an American President making claims that he set NATO up, unaware of reality, and all of them allegedly shivering about Trump getting reelected but also in unified campfire singing of "democracy."

All of this while during the same week the leader of India meets with the leader of Russia in Russia.

Key note: the leader of India is literally the leader of the planet's largest democracy.

What are we missing here people????

If this thread breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Active Contributor
...maybe that the intergovernmental military alliance NATO, which was formed in the same decade as the second world war, has become as outdated and useless as the current president of the U.S.? Hey, it's not like our Canadian PM is great by any stretch of the imagination either.

If this reply breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Active Contributor
MitchandDaisy said: ...maybe that the intergovernmental military alliance NATO, which was formed in the same decade as the second world war, has become as outdated and useless as the current president of the U.S.? Hey, it's not like our Canadian PM is great by any stretch of the imagination either.

Biden is just immoral filth but Trudeau is diabolical.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
PhallicSupermacyOne said:
MitchandDaisy said: ...maybe that the intergovernmental military alliance NATO, which was formed in the same decade as the second world war, has become as outdated and useless as the current president of the U.S.? Hey, it's not like our Canadian PM is great by any stretch of the imagination either.

Biden is just immoral filth but Trudeau is diabolical.

I read that twice. Lots said in one line. Sounds like you know a bit more than what CNN has been feeding the masses.

Forum Level:
A Thinker
In a way I guess it kind of worked because there was no major European war but one also has to wonder if the entire Warsaw/NATO approach was a modern Central Powers/Triple Entente set up that is usually blamed for WWI and we just got lucky?

I'm someone who would like to see the American military budget cut by something like 75% so I'm no big fan of NATO. Not the least bit concerned about it going away

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
dziga said: In a way I guess it kind of worked because there was no major European war but one also has to wonder if the entire Warsaw/NATO approach was a modern Central Powers/Triple Entente set up that is usually blamed for WWI and we just got lucky?

I'm someone who would like to see the American military budget cut by something like 75% so I'm no big fan of NATO. Not the least bit concerned about it going away

The proposed U.S. military budget for 2024 is 842 billion dollars. Canada's is 30 billion. The UK, around 74 billion.

Keep going with all the countries, add it up. Then look at the state of the world. We are a mad, mad species. Not entirely hopeless, but in dire need of assistance, for sure.

Forum Level:
Just getting started

No question that NATO held the Soviets in check until the collapse of the USSR but its steady absorption of the former republics plus US complicity in the 2014 coup in Ukraine is a major cause of Putin's attack on that country. Control of Ukraine would put NATO only 500 miles from Moscow and Putin felt threatened just as JFK did when missiles were being installed in Cuba. Had Khrushchev not backed down, the plans to invade Cuba would have gone ahead.
The Russian leadership and army have proved to be totally inept in Ukraine and there I believe is a danger that Putin will go nuclear.

Forum Level:
A Thinker
I suggest you learn some facts. NATO was set up in 1947 (I think it was, could have been slightly earlier) after World War Two with eight original members. The alliance has always expanded and not just because of the fall of the Warsaw Pact. Those nations became truly independent them (remember what happened to Hungry resulting in Soviet tanks rolling in). The independent countries themselves decided to join NATO; however, to join ALL existing member countries must approve of the country joining. Putin did not invade Ukraine because of NATO. He annex Crimea when Ukraine said that they would not renew lease on Naval bases. Putin invaded Ukraine solely to establish a buffer for transportation of supplies etc from Russia to Crimea. Back to NATO, Article Five has only been invoked once and that was in the War on Terror by Bush. It is Russia’s actions that have xxxxxxxxxx countries to join NATO, the memories of now the Soviets acted is well fresh in that part of the world for example in September 1939 when they spilt Poland in half with Nazi Germany. Putin’s is a dictator who has declared himself president for life. NATO countries are all democracies. As for India, it is not truly a democracy, Mundi has passed many laws restricting the freedom of people who are not Hindu. From a geopolitical perspective however it location makes it a very sort after “Ally”. I’ll finish there because I can’t be fucked writing anymore. Oh, Biden did not say he formed NATO rather he said he had guaranteed the US commitment to the Alliance after Trump had fucked over and still will. Too faced pricks after Article Five was invoked but then he doesn’t respect your military.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Ukraine was invaded for several reasons, some dating back to WW2. The West has forgotten WW2, the Russians never have. Every family in Russia proper probably knows of at least one grandparent, or older family members, that died in WW2 thanks to invasion from the West.

The Bush 1 Administration promised the Russians in 1991 that if they would allow Germany to unite (something that the Soviets were dead set against as far back as the Teheran conference during WW2, when Germany's post-war future was decided) that NATO would not move one inch further east from the eastern border of the united Germany. This promise was never made in writing, but has been verified by Der Spiegel and other news media. And remember, oral promises on the strategic level can be binding. The access to West Berlin durng the postwar years was based on oral promises made by Stalin in 1944.

Meanwhile, President Clinton, and every administration after him (until Trump) broke the promise made to Russia about moving NATO east. They could have worked out a separate security agreement for the former Warsaw pact nations, but instead opted to bring them into NATO, basically giving nuclear armed Russia the finger and taking NATO right to the Russian border.

Then the West, led by the Obama Administration, interfered in Ukrainian elections at a time when ethnic Russians in the Donbass and nearby regions were being discriminated against, and this interference in Ukrainian elections was intended to bring Ukraine into the Western fold, with EU and/or NATO membership being a distinct possibility. Russia, understandably, saw this as a strategic threat.

Remember, they lost 20 Million people, mostly civilians, in WW2. Millions of Russian POW's were starved to death. The Russian people have never forgot this. They have long memories. Most people in the West can't remember anything further back than yesterday's TikTok posting and their understanding of history is lower than the historical understanding held by a box of rocks. It's just fact. People aren't taught history.

NATO is necessary. I think the Russian invasion shows its purpose. That said, the Ukraine invasion may not have happened if the US and other Western governments had not decided to interfere in Ukraine in the 2010's, and suggest it join NATO. As per usual, there are better ways to deal with issues than interfere with elections, make empty threats, provoke a nuclear armed adversary unnecessarily, and make geopolitical moves that are completely devoid of historical knowledge.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
dziga said: In a way I guess it kind of worked because there was no major European war but one also has to wonder if the entire Warsaw/NATO approach was a modern Central Powers/Triple Entente set up that is usually blamed for WWI and we just got lucky?

I was in favor of major cuts to the U.S. military budget until the wars in Gaza and Ukraine. Now I want the United States to give Israel and Ukraine the xxxxxxxxxxx they need to win.